I think your question should generate good response and take you to some interesting dialogue. In little time, you and others will become blogging experts.
I think I would have to answer your question with "Both." I would follow whoever was put over me, unless they were just plain evil. Perhaps if you would have worded it as what type of leader would you "Prefer" to follow... then I would have said: "It depends."
There are many leadership traits a good leader must possess to be effective in many situations. Some of the traits I believe are important are trustworthiness, flexibility, consistency, and strategic alliances.
I believe the best skill to have as a leader in the private sector would to be able to be sociable. I believe it is important to be able to communicate and talk with people in a comfortable manner. I believe that the lack of social skills would be a hinder against someone being an effective leader.
The second skill would be integrity. I believe many leaders in both the private and public sectors lack this skill (or more a personality trait). Another would be accountability. Accountability for their actions and the actions of others.
The last skill would be selflessness. Making decisions for the benefit of others as well as yourself is selflessness. If you do not possess this trait, you will not be respected and effective as a leader.
Hi Geri,
ReplyDeleteI think your question should generate good response and take you to some interesting dialogue. In little time, you and others will become blogging experts.
I believe that any leader should be a good communicator. Without communication, organizations cannot survive.
ReplyDeleteGreat subject.
I think I would have to answer your question with "Both." I would follow whoever was put over me, unless they were just plain evil. Perhaps if you would have worded it as what type of leader would you "Prefer" to follow... then I would have said: "It depends."
ReplyDeleteBruce
There are many leadership traits a good leader must possess to be effective in many situations. Some of the traits I believe are important are trustworthiness, flexibility, consistency, and strategic alliances.
ReplyDeleteIf you wanted to become a successful leader, would you want to be trained or do you think you have all the skills you need/
ReplyDeleteI believe the best skill to have as a leader in the private sector would to be able to be sociable. I believe it is important to be able to communicate and talk with people in a comfortable manner. I believe that the lack of social skills would be a hinder against someone being an effective leader.
ReplyDeleteThe second skill would be integrity. I believe many leaders in both the private and public sectors lack this skill (or more a personality trait). Another would be accountability. Accountability for their actions and the actions of others.
The last skill would be selflessness. Making decisions for the benefit of others as well as yourself is selflessness. If you do not possess this trait, you will not be respected and effective as a leader.